Monday, September 14, 2009

The Haunted Tavern of the West Gash

Last night I was looking for possible particle effect resources for my ghosts, and I came across a couple of interesting-sounding quest/dungeon mods. One of these was The Haunted Tavern of the West Gash. I installed it, together with the optional ESP that adds an NPC to give you directions toward the titular tavern. About 2 hours later, I had completed a very satisfying storyline. I consider this to be a model to aspire toward. 2 or 3 hours of content to explore, and a storyline that unfolds as you continue through it, along with several well-developed characters.

For the same atmospheric lighting reasons I mentioned in my post about my upcoming mod, I decided to avoid the use of Night Eye and instead brought several torches, candlesticks, and lanterns with me. I placed the candlesticks and lanterns around the rooms as I came to them, allowing me to see well, but retain the creepy atmosphere.

Also, since I was using a powerful character, I chose the optional "hard version" ESP, and also decided to fight using a tertiary skill. I'm a mage with also high skill in short blade (for daggers), but I went with archery for this one. My archery skill is only 23, though I have a spell to boost it up to 50. This was a good choice, as I found that arrows were plentiful in this mod, and using arrows made the fights more challenging.

The levels were well laid out, with most areas having a little bit of the story to tell. And I really liked how the "treasure room" was set up in terms of how it was used as a reward.

I'm not going to spoil this mod. If you like the sort of thing I described above, and fighting undead, then go play it! You can uninstall it afterward with no harm done, and probably keep the loot as well, though I simply made a special save for this mod and then deleted it when I was done.

2 comments:

  1. Been reading some small bits of news on a new elder's scrolls game... and a book! I read on a portuguese website and didn't find the same info in english yet, so here it goes:

    "The Elder's Scrolls: The Infernal City" by Greg Keyes, to be released november 2009. The book is supposed to fill the gab between oblivion and the 5th game.

    Life still crazy here, haven't had the opportunity to relax and play Morrowind. Hopefully soon things will change again (for much better this time).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, thank you for the translation of the summary! I'm sure that will whet people's appetites. :)

    I've been absent from Morrowind lately myself, as you'll soon see with my next post which I'm preparing.

    ReplyDelete